Ontario Private Mortgages
- Do you need an ‘unconventional’ mortgage for a residential or mixed use property?
- Are you purchasing a ‘nonconforming’ property and have been told it can’t be financed?
- Have you been turned down by a bank, or several banks, due to any number of reasons?
- Do you need financing fast and you can’t wait for the bank to make up their mind?
- Are you being treated badly because you have bad credit, unverifiable income or you want to buy a unique property
- Do you just need someone to believe in you for a year or two while you get back on your feet and become ‘bankable’ again?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions then…
Maybe a private mortgage is for you!
Private mortgages are funded by individuals or groups who want to make a better return on their investment than 2% in a GIC at their bank. They are comfortable with investments that are secured by real estate and they will look past bad credit, bankruptcy, and environmental or zoning issues. Basically they invest in people and property and not reports and numbers.
Some private mortgage investors only invest in residential housing, some will look at commercial plazas. Every investor is different and that’s why you need a mortgage broker. They each have their own appetite and lending comfort zone. Private mortgage investors will even look at farm mortgages, mobile home mortgages, a variety store mortgage, a mortgage for a cottage or vacation property, or even a mortgage on bare land.
One thing is for sure, they will listen to your story and make a decision based on all of the information. Canadian private mortgage investors look at things like bank statements, recent appraisals, and employment letters, whatever you can provide to show them why you, and your property are a good investment.
Sometimes, god forbid, they will even want to meet with you, see your property, and hear the story in person. When is the last time that a bank wanted to hear the whole story?
Some rough guidelines and facts:
- Rates – typically higher than bank posted rate although not always
- Term – 1 to 3 years, longer if there is a valid reason
- Payments – interest only and amortized payments are possible
- Fees – depends entirely on the package
- Region – typically they invest in their own area but not always
- Approval – approvals can take 1 day to 2 weeks depending on the deal
- Funding – funding can happen in less than a week but generally in 3 weeks
To get access to private lenders and mortgage investors you generally need to deal with a Private Mortgage Broker and that’s where we come in. We’ll take a look at the entire application, including the back story, package it as an investment and present it to the most appropriate private mortgage lender in Ontario for approval. Speak to Richard Quelle (Northwood Mortgage) 416-879-5011, I will be glad to help.